Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back at It!

Okay, I have to say that we took the whole month of December off--and I HIGHLY recommend it. What a nice break from the routine and seriously, don't we have enough to do in December with all the recitals, parties, shopping, baking, and gifting?! We didn't throw ALL routine to the wind, however; the girls still had to clean their zones, do their reading, and have quiet time each day. But, we did try to do something fun and Chrismassy each day--even if it was a recital--(not exactly Kate's idea of fun) and honestly, I can't remember ever having a better Christmas season. Here are some of the other activities we did:

decorated a gingerbread house, sang carols around the piano, baked lots of treats, went to the local festival of trees, cut out paper snowflakes, made Christmas cards, shoveled snow, threw snow and ate snow, made a Christingle (see photo), sledding, ice-skating, going to the movies

Alright, I can't think of anything else, that was weeks ago. Maybe next year we can include some service in there????

Really, I feel like our time off recharged my batteries. Now that it's January I feel ready to get back to school full-swing and I think secretly the girls are too. Christingle: orange=world, candle=Christ, red=His sacrifice, 4 toothpicks=seasons, raisins=fruit of the world

4 comments:

cold cocoa said...

You threw a party for Joseph Smith for many of the neighbor kids. If that ain't service I don't know what is!

Anyway, good for you guys for taking the fun month off to do fun, memorable things!

Dave and Deslynn said...

Okay, you are my poster mom!! (like poster child :) Good for you taking December off, for the most part and enjoying the season. Too many parents use the holiday season as a carrot for the kids to get work done and it becomes a hostage situation. It can work, but more times than not mom is stressed out over everyone's work. Good Job! Do you care if I link to you from my homepage? You're very inspiring.

LC said...

I just have this wonderful memory that happens to only the remember the good times of December--ha ha.

yes, you can add this as a link.
I'm enjoying your L&L class

thanks cc--good point, I'll take it.

Heather said...

Laura-
I was thrilled to find this blog of yours and plan to go read every word of it! I have been wanting to get together with you and talk homeschool "shop" for awhile now! I would love to hear how you decided to join the ranks of us "crazy homeschoolers!" Heather